Dogwood Hill - Sherryl Woods

3.5 stars

I hadn't read any of Woods's Chesapeake Shores novels before, and hadn't realized this was the 12th story. Nonetheless, it stands alone well so you won't feel lost if you come in this late. I picked this up because of the setting - the Chesapeake Bay area near me. It's a sweet romance between two newer people in a close-knit town. Aiden is a former pro football player taking over the high school coaching job, and Liz has opened a pet boutique.

Each has a fairly large closet skeleton revealed to the reader gradually, and as the romance builds Liz is more reluctant to let it happen. While she nurses scars from a bad marriage, she's slow to invest in a new man, even in one her pets adore.

Dogwood Hill is nice story, and you get to meet many townsfolk who likely had their own stories told previously. I enjoyed reading it though at times I scratched my head at how Liz seemed to invent ways to push away from Aiden. Much ado, maybe, but they were well-rounded characters and the book is a nice diversion.