Imzadi Forever (Star Trek) - Peter David

In my upcoming novella, Busted!, I deal with a love triangle of sorts. It's true, love happens in the most unusual of places - even at a sci-fi convention. I won't delve too much into the story today, but to get you revved up for the book I thought I'd touch on other love triangles that happened in an atypical place - the realm of sci-fi/fantasy.

Yeah, there are romances set in SFF backdrops. However, you don't normally tune in to a favorite sci-fi series to see a romance. Oh, you do? Well, you've come to the right place, because I'm talking about some of my favorites.

Riker/Troi/Worf (Star Trek: the Next Generation) - I don't know if anybody saw the attempt at a Troi/Worf pairing late in the TV show's run, but I certainly didn't disapprove. Worf hadn't enjoyed much luck in the romance department, and the whole flirtation between Troi and Riker's "twin" petered out, so why not get them together? I wished the show had done more to explore the possibilities, but the run ended and the movies brought Troi and Riker back together. Feh. At least those of us siding with Worf have Peter David's book, Triangle: Imzadi II to bring some semblance of closure.

Han Solo/Princess Leia/Prince Isolder (Star Wars expanded universe) - Some of you may be asking, "Wha?" Yeh, Prince Isolder didn't appear in any of the current movies, but was a character in the novel The Courtship of Princess Leia. It's been years since I read it, but IIRC the storyline involved a plan to marry Leia off to this guy for reasons of galactic peace and prosperity or nah, and Han wasn't having it. Of course, you know how it ends, and I doubt Isolder gets any lip service in the new movies.

Egon/Jeanine/Louis (Ghostbusters) - Yeah, it's not really a triangle, but something always bothered me about the two films. In the first, Jeanine is clearly smitten with Egon, and in the second she warms up rather quickly to Louis Tully. Perhaps they're more suited to each other, but you notice the whole Egon/Jeanine didn't get any time in the sequel. I don't think they share scenes in II. So what happened during the five year gap? The cartoon doesn't tell us much, but I see on Wikipedia they added Louis in the fifth season after the sequel came out. Somebody must really have wanted to convince us Jeanine and Tully belonged together.

Dirk/Talia/Kris (Heralds of Valdemar) - One summer I blew through about ten Valdemar novels. If you're looking for a fantasy gateway, pick up this trilogy - Arrows of the Queen, Arrow's Flight, and Arrow's Fall. The first one is one of the few books I have read more than once, and I only picked them up because somebody remarked to me she'd heard Mercedes Lackey was a Rush fan and might have modeled Dirk on Geddy Lee. It's possible, but you don't need to know that to like the books.

Now, some of you might want to include some recent YA triangles here (Bella/Edward/Werewolf Guy I Can't Remember; Gale/Katniss/Peeta), and there may be a Doctor Who one or two, but these are the most memorable to me. Hopefully somebody will add Busted! to his/her list.

Source: http://kathrynlively.blogspot.com